POLICE PRESS RELEASE
30th NOVEMBER, 2018.
The recent political crises which has rocked the Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly (AKHA) thereby threatening the peace of the State and its attendant perception and misrepresentation to members of the public has become a thing of great concern to the Akwa Ibom State Police Command.
2. Ordinarily, the Police would not want to join issues with anyone, but it has become imperative to set the records straight and to let the Akwa Ibom people and of course Nigerians know the truth.
3. On Monday, 19th November, 2018, the seats of five (5) members of the All Progressive Congress (APC) were declared vacant by the leadership of the House, leading to tension in and around the State House of Assembly Complex. Consequent upon this, and to forestall a breakdown of Law and Order, the Akwa Ibom State Police Command took a proactive step by deploying personnel around the House of Assembly Complex. This measure went a long way to prevent the Assembly complex from being burnt or vandalized, and ensured that no life was lost.
4. However, on Tuesday, the 27th of November, 2018, based on intelligence report of an impending further crisis, the Command in order to forestall breakdown of law and order, deployed personnel, 500 metres away from the Assembly and screened all those wanting to enter the Assembly complex. The essence of this was to ensure that hoodlums do not interfere with the proceedings at the Assembly whenever the House sits. The first to arrive the Assembly complex were five (5) APC members. As at this time, the CP was in his office when he got a call inviting him to Government House to see His Excellency. He quickly left his office to see the Governor, but on arrival was informed that the Governor has left for the Assembly complex. He proceeded to the Assembly Complex where he met the Governor, some Commissioners and some PDP Law Makers. The Law makers later sat and performed their legislative functions after the restoration of normalcy within and around the Assembly Complex by the Nigeria Police Force.
5. It is apt to State that the Akwa Ibom State Police Command never at any point in time laid siege on the House of Assembly.
6. The totality of the efforts of the Akwa Ibom State Police Command so far should be commended and not vilified.
7. Let me use this medium to call on the good people of Akwa Ibom State to remain calm and Law abiding as the Police will not be derailed from performing its constitutional mandate of protecting lives and Property and the maintenance of law and order. This we would continue to do in a professional and non-partisan manner.
8. We therefore appeal to all peace loving and responsible Akwa Ibomites to eschew the blame game and partner with the Nigeria Police, Akwa Ibom State Command and sister security agencies to make Akwa Ibom remain the most peaceful State in the country.
9. I thank the Government and the good people of Akwa Ibom state for their support so far to the Nigeria Police, Akwa Ibom State Command.
DSP ODIKO MacDON
POLICE PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER,
AKWA IBOM STATE.